Saturday, May 11, 2019

Mother’s Day


Mother’s Day

Tomorrow is Mother’s Day, and I am once again reminded of the mothers in my life.

First, of course, is my mother, Vera Methven Lund Mansfield. She didn’t have it easy. Widowed at age 36, she was left to raise my brother and me as a single parent, at a time when there were few single parents. She had no job skills and was totally unprepared for this role, but she did it. And I miss her.


When I married, the week after my nineteenth birthday, I was blessed with my mother-in-love, Letha Collins. She always wanted a daughter, and I was. I never received a birthday card that said anything except “To Our Daughter.” She introduced me as her daughter, and occasionally confused people. She was my friend and as loving a mother as anyone could ask for. And I miss her.

Growing up, we also had Wilma Sehnert in our lives. Mom had to work, but Wilma was always there for us. She was the one we went to when we had problems. She showed her love for us in so many ways. It wasn’t until we were grown that we realized what a huge role she had played. I miss her.

I had many other women who served in mother roles during my lifetime. All of them left no doubt they loved me. I am grateful for them. And I miss them.

Of course, I need to mention Kimberly, who made me a mother. I was blessed with an independent daughter who often tried my patience, but who has always been her own person. Along the way, she became one of my best friends. She now lives in Texas, and I miss her.

On Mother’s Day this year, I honor all of them and all of you who serve as mothers to the children in your lives. I have been blessed with other children from Japan and Spain who are part of our family and are in my heart. They all live at a distance, and I miss them, too.

Honor your mothers tomorrow and every day. They deserve it.

4 comments:

  1. Nice,Lorna. Happy Mother's Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those of us who have had loving mothers have been very blessed. Thank you for recognizing the mothering role that so many women play in our lives.
    A happy Mother's Day to you, Lorna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you, too. And I miss you! Have a wonderful Mother's Day.

      Delete