Monday, April 1, 2019

Abandoned


Over the last few years, I have observed a disturbing trend in publishing. Many, if not most, of the small and mid-level publishers I know have gone out of business, leaving their authors wondering where to go and what to do.

The first to affect us personally was Whiskey Creek Press. http://whiskeycreekpress.com/ The owners were very close friends, and our relationship with them was a personal as well as business one. Health issues forced them to sell their company. They were fortunate. At the time, another publisher, Start Publishing, was interested in obtaining the company. We had seven books with them, so it was easier to leave them with the same publisher, especially since they maintained the original website, even with the change in ownership. They also contracted with Simon and Schuster to distribute our ebooks. https://www.simonandschuster.com/search/books/_/N-/Ntt-Lorna+Collins

In 2016, the publisher of Wild Child Publishing/Freya’s Bower closed her publishing house. At the time, she explained that Amazon’s changes had made it impossible for small-to-mid-sized publishers to stay in business. Other publishers followed.

The same year, the owner of Oak Tree Press, Billie Johnson, had a massive stroke. It was not her first, but she had recovered from an earlier one, so her authors hoped she’d do the same this time. After a year with no royalties, I decided to request my rights back and self-publish my book, Ghost Writer. Some others did the same. However, in 2018, Billie died, and many of her authors were left without a publisher.
I have helped some of these to self-publish their books, but others are still trying to figure out what they will do.

Next to succumb was Desert Breeze Publishing, one of the most ethical houses I ever worked with. I edited for them for a few years. They also published several of my friends’ books. A couple of years ago, the owner had a serious car accident. She has been in nearly constant pain ever since. This, combined with the Amazon system’s policy changes, led her to stop doing business.

The latest publisher to fold is Mundania Press. This was one of the most respected of the mid-level publishers. Through the past fifteen years or so, they acquired several other small presses. However, they have been unable to pay royalties for a few months. Sadly, they, too, have given up.

When Oak Tree closed, our dear friend, Marilyn Meredith had her Rocky Bluff PD mystery series as well as quite a few other outliers published through Oak Tree. Another publisher, Aakenbaaken & Kent (also a friend), took the series and is currently re-publishing it. Larry and I self-published the others under Marilyn’s name. They now belong to her, and she gets all the royalties.

Her Tempe Crabtree mystery series was published by Mundania. We told her we would do the same with these. There were sixteen previously published books plus a new one, which should have been released months ago. She sent me the files, and Spirit Wind it is now available as of last Saturday in paperback and ebook. (Marilyn used my name for a character in a previous book, and she is back in this one—perhaps my favorite of all.)
In addition to the seventeen books in this series, Mundania had also published several of her other freestanding books. Thank goodness, Marilyn kept all of her files. (We share the same birthday, and we’re both very organized.)

So, now I’m at work trying to re-edit and re-format all the manuscripts. She has all the front cover artwork—thank goodness because these are gorgeous! But Larry has had to re-create the back covers and spines. This one turned out beautifully, so we are optimistic about the rest of them.

Many other authors are now left high and dry with no publishers and few options. Most do not have the skills necessary to self-publish their books.
The publishing industry has undergone a complete change during the thirteen years since we published our first book—and not necessarily for the better.

Have you had any experiences with being abandoned by a publisher?

10 comments:

  1. Yes, this is the problem with any business in which the owner is basically the workforce. Same is true in many other industries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be inherent in this industry. Thank God for the self-publishing option, even t hough KDP Print is a real pain! (I preferred CreateSpace.)

      Delete
    2. I agree, Dr. Bob. A small publisher needs a team. I edit for Elk Lake Publishing. There are several people who could step in if the owner has an emergency. ELP is not big and the owner could easily handle everything herself, but wisely choose not to.

      Delete
    3. Sue, this was true of several of these as well. Unfortunately, unforeseen events can change everything without warning... Very sad.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lorna...great post!
    Unfortunately it has happened to me many more times than I care to think about. Some publishers such as Amber Quill Press (what a class act they were!) paid us every last dime. Others such as Silver Publishing simply vanished. That owner took off for South Africa owing his authors tens of thousands of dollars. Others...well, I'll never know what I made because they just closed their doors. Torquere Press shut down owing us money and the publisher said she was in the hospital but was actually in jail for bouncing a 10K check on one of her biggest authors. Loose Id went under never paying me. There are more. Breathless Press. Fireborn Publishing. Mojo Castle Press. Though Mojo did pay us. There was also a major distributor, All Romance eBooks who closed her doors owing authors and publishers hundreds of thousands of dollars. I received a letter this week from the San Diego bankruptcy court inviting me and other creditors to show up at her hearing this month. I have no idea what she owed me to be honest...none of us do. The figures on each person's dashboard changed. So I have four publishers I like and trust but I self publish too. It's been a rough education and with 300 erotic romance novels published publishers contact me to give them books. I am very choosy know because I've been burned and I know a lot more about the business than I used to. Self publishing has been a wonderful experience but I spent 10 years building my brand before I did it. I would say writers should check the royalty section of a contract and contact other writers. They are usually honest. Thanks again for the great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of the ones I wrote about were honest and straightforward with their authors. Desert Breeze, for example, gave their authors their rights as well as their covers. Oak Tree was in trouble when Billie could no longer manage the royalties, and no one else knew how to calculate the amount. I told them I would exchange any amount owed for the rights to my cover. They agreed. Others just closed and went away. I have been self-publishing everything since the close of Whiskey Creek. We had an anthology ready to go when they announced the sale of the company. I published it myself. When we sell any though Amazon, I send the others their share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been through this lots--first with an e-book publisher before there were e-readers, book looked great, but had to be read on the computer. 3 very crooked publishers, three who died (Billie was one, so sad because we were good friends, as was one of the earlier ones), one who waa great but had great trauma in her life and ended her business, and of course Mondania. Was so so sad because they'd been terrific over the years. Now you and Larry have saved the day for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was one of Billie's later published authors. My book got some notoriety, won Best Popular Fiction in Florida, etc. But never saw a cent from Oak Tree. Are others in the same boat, or any claims against her estate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, no one could figure out her accounting program to determine the number of books sold Without that information, I don't know how you could prove your claim.

      Delete