Thursday, April 11, 2024

OUR JOURNEY “HOME”

 

March 29, 2024

Larry had set the alarm for 6:00, but we didn’t need it. In fact, neither of us slept much. We admitted we felt a bit anxious about making the train trip to Takarazuka, where we had lived while in Japan.

The sweet young lady had outlined an itinerary that required changing from the JR to the Hankyu line. It only allowed ten minutes to get from the JR Osaka Station to the Umeda (Hankyu) Station. I couldn’t remember much about the route, and Larry was afraid ten minutes wouldn’t be log enough to get there. He was also a bit concerned about the cash. I told him I had quite a bit of change, so we should be okay—at least on the first leg to Osaka. And we had a few small bills.

Since we couldn’t sleep anyway, Larry decided to get up at 5:30 and shower. I followed closely behind. We left the room at 6:30, when they begin serving breakfast downstairs.

We wondered where all the people had come from. The line for breakfast was jammed. And it didn’t appear to be moving. When we peeked inside, most of the tables seemed to be occupied.

Finally, they began to allow more people into the dining room. We were directed to another line toward another restaurant. We were assured the food would be “similar.”

We had learned about “similar” food when we were working at the jobsite and were introduced to “hamburger-be-similar.” (Not really hamburger and certainly not similar to what we considered a hamburger.)

However, since the main line wasn’t moving very fast, and we needed to catch an early train, we decided to accept the offer.

They clearly provided some of the same items offered in the larger restaurant, but several of my favorites were missing (like tomato juice and some of the fruit for the yogurt). Still, we were able to get a nice variety.

We would be visiting my dear friend, Misayo-san and her daughter, Kazue. Misayo is a terrific cook and had said she would fix us lunch. I knew there would be a variety of food offered, and it all would be delicious. So, I wasn’t worried about going hungry!

We returned to our room and got our “stuff” together for the day. Then we headed out on our “big adventure” for the trip.

We got to the station about half-an-hour ahead of our proposed schedule. We’d both rather be early than late.

We got our tickets to Osaka Station and found the train. All the signs said “Nishikujo.” It’s been so long we were afraid it might not be the right train, even though the platform sign said “to Osaka.”

A nice Australian family was waiting with us. We asked them, and they said it was the right train, and we had to change trains in Nishikujo. Whew!

After we all boarded, we discovered they had spent the previous day at USJ. The son loved Mario Kart and waxed poetic about how much fun it was. We knew we had express tickets for the ride and for Harry Potter, so we were looking forward to it.

We made our change without incident and got off in Osaka Station. We saw the JR line to Takarazuka and thought about taking it, but then we saw the signs for the Hankyu line. We decided to be safe and followed the young lady’s instructions. After all, she hadn’t steered us wrong—yet.

Made our way up a flight of stairs and outside. Up still more wet stairs to street level, and then over to the station. Then down more stairs into the bowels of the station. We located the ticket area and purchased our tickets to Takarazuka. As we were walking toward the tracks, I suddenly discovered I didn’t have my purse with me.

I went into total panic mode. This is NOT typical for me, but I had been under a great deal of strain before we left trying to make all the arrangements for Larry’s birthday party and Kae’s memorial service. Then we’d rushed to get to the plane, meet our transfer to the hotel, etc. once we got here. And I was already intimidated about taking this train trip.

Realistically, I knew I would get it back. This is Japan, after all. But I couldn’t remember where I saw it last. Was it on the JR train? In the JR Osaka Station? Had I dropped it somewhere along the way? I’d had my coin purse in my pocket when I took it out to pay for our last tickets. Where was it? And even if they found it, how would they be able to find me?

Thank God, Larry kept his cool. He kept saying, “It will be okay.”

We looked around for someone “official” to help. No sign of anyone. We finally saw a clerk at the Lawson Store. By now I was sobbing. I tried to explain what had happened.

The poor man answered, “Sorry. No English.”

I asked if there was anyone who could help.

He seemed to understand and pointed up the corridor. “Information.”

I saw nothing, but Larry took my hand and led me in the direction the clerk had pointed. Near the other end, I saw a sign with a blue “i” on it. Larry led me that way. I still didn’t see any official-looking people, but Larry had spotted a glass-enclosed booth around the corner.

We entered. The near clerk was helping someone else, but a dear young man motioned for us to come to the far end of the counter.

I was still crying when we approached—and I spotted my coin purse! He had been counting the money in it. (We assumed he was making an inventory of everything in the bag.) I then spotted my card case. It held my driver’s license, medical cards, and two credit cards. Miracle of miracles, my bag had already been turned in!

Of course, my tears increased. I pointed. “That’s mine.”

The young man, who spoke and understood English, just grinned and nodded. “Yes.”

He put the coins back in the coin purse and put it and the card case back in my bag.

He handed me a claim ticket to fill out with my name, location where we were staying, and phone number. I completed and signed it, and he handed my bag back to me with everything intact. (I would have expected nothing less in Japan.)

I thanked him profusely with many low bows. He just smiled.

Crisis averted.

Once I could breathe again, we made our way to the platform for Takarazuka and boarded the train. It was an “Express” meaning the train route ended in Takarazuka before it returned to Osaka. This did not mean it didn’t make a dozen or more stops on the way.

We arrived in Takarazuka about 9:30—half-an-hour early. The station had been completely transformed and enlarged since our last visit.

Hankyu Takarazuka Station

We both used the restrooms and were surprised to find that the new ones were 100% western style and very modern. A great change from the old ones!

We had to go up some stairs to reach the pedestrian bridge across the highway to get to the JR station. Since our last trip, it has been completely refurbished—including the addition of elevators at each end.

At the other side, we had to go back down to street level and tried the elevator. It worked very well.

When we left in 2001, fewer than 2% of all train stations had handicapped access. Today, that has all changed.

On the train to Takarazuka was a young man in a power wheelchair. When we reached his stop, the doors opened, and a train attendant put a ramp in place. The man in the chair rolled easily onto the platform. The ramp was removed, and the doors closed. Easy and quick.

We had also noticed many more wheelchairs on the streets and in our hotel.

Each time I saw one, I felt very proud. Because of our requirement for handicapped access in the park, our Japanese contractors became much more aware of the requirements. On this trip, we saw the results we helped facilitate. We felt very proud.


JR Takarazuka Station with Pedestrian Bridge

When we reached the street, we found a loading area and took seats on the low wall nearby. About five minutes later, a red car drove up. Kazue jumped out and greeted us. (They were early, too.)

Her friend, Takehiro Shigematsu, was driving. We had met him when we were here in 2011, and he has been a Facebook friend ever since. We are very fond of him. I told him we’re keeping him.

We drove up to Misayo’s home. When we entered, she emerged from the kitchen, just as she had in 2011. We both hugged and cried once again.

Years ago, she said we had made a heart-connection when we first met. It is still there.

We sat down, and she gave us tea. Another familiar part of our relationship.

We took her a small plate hand-painted with “Dana Point, California” and a scene of clouds and a seagull. It was a reminder of her promise to come to visit us in California. We would also love to have Kazue come back, and Takehiro is also invited.

We began a lovely meal, during which we reminisced and shared treasured memories.

Since our last visit, Misayo-san’s mother, Kuniko, has passed away. We loved this dear lady who opened her home to us and welcomed us as her own children. We had hoped to see her again sometime.

Misayo prepared sukiyaki, just as she had the very first time we ate at her home in April of 1999 when Kim and my mother arrived for a visit. The Sakura tree outside of her window had been illuminated and in bloom. We’d enjoyed it as Kazue played spring music: “Fantasia on Sakura” and “Rustle of Spring.” This last one made me cry because, at the time, my mother could no longer play the piano, but when I was growing up, it was a song she played often. Kazue renamed the piece “Vera’s Song” in honor of my mother.

While we lived in Japan, I found a favorite song: “Le Rhone” by Katzuhisa Hattori. Kazue learned it and always plays it for me.

During our visit, she repeated the same three beloved songs. “Vera’s Song” made me cry again since my mother is no longer with us, but it reminds me of her.

Just as we always have, we loved sharing our fond memories and laughing over wonderful times.


Larry, Misayo, me, Kazue, and Takehiro

After lunch, Takehiro drove us past our old building. What a surprise! We used to live in the building highest on the mountain, but today, about five more buildings have sprung up around it. It is still there and as lovely as ever, but it is no longer isolated.

We next stopped at Koyoshikojin Temple. We had taken Mom and Kim there when they visited, and we made several other visits during out time in Takarazuka. On our first visit, the Sakura trees had been in full bloom. They were supposed to have been in bloom this time as well, but the weather had been too cold.

We observed the usual rituals: hand washing and bowing as well as tossing a coin and ringing the bell. Everything seemed familiar and yet not quite the same.

As we walked around the shrine, I finally spotted a Sakura tree in full bloom farther up the hill. It was the only one we saw, but it reminded us of how lovely the trees are.

We continued back down the hill toward town. We recognized few places. Only one or two of those we had known remained.

When we stopped at the Hankyu Station, we realized just how large it had become. The department store portion is about four times as large as it was the last time. The JR station had been replaced in 2011 when we were here, but the old Hankyu station had been the same. Now both are rebuilt and much more modern.

As we walked around, Misayo was busy shopping. Kazue also bought a few things. Misayo wanted to buy a bunch of treats for Larry’s birthday party next week. We tried to discourage her, but she still insisted on getting some sweets for us to share with our guests. We told her we had no room in our suitcases, but she would not be thwarted. (She is a true force of nature when she is determined to do something!)

Although we were prepared to take the train back to our hotel, Misayo insisted on Takehiro driving us all the way back. He is such a sweet young man. We feel honored to know him.

After more tearful farewells, we waved good-bye as they drove off.

But our day wasn’t over yet!

Although we were tired, we were to meet our Japanese daughter, Yuko for dinner at the Hard Rock Café. We needed a nap!

4 comments:

  1. Marilyn again--loved reading this. Wonderful about your purse being found so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a day! Anxious to read what happened next!

    ReplyDelete