Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Another Birthday!

 

Yes, I’m getting old. Next year I will reach the ¾ century mark. And you know what? I feel thrilled and blessed to have made it this far. Many in my family have not.


My father, Henry LaRay Lund, died at 37 when I was seven years old. He went to work one morning and never came home.


His mother, Margaret Imelda McNamara Lund, died at twenty-five when my dad was six. She left three children. My dad was the eldest. His sisters were three- and eighteen-months hold. Her children were raised by other relatives.


My maternal grandfather, David Methven, died at 54. He also went to work in the morning and never came home. Grandpa died in the old Broadway flagship store in downtown Los Angeles at closing time. Dad (his son-in-law) was with him. His last words were about me.

Dad died in the same store at opening time just over five years later.


My paternal great-grandmother died at 38 after giving birth to thirteen children. My grandfather was eight-years-old when his mother died. He was raised by an older sister—the same one who raised my dad after his mother died.

On the other hand, some of my ancestors lived a long time.


My mother lived to ninety-three, and her youngest sister will be ninety-seven on Friday. She is still sharp and a lot of fun.

 This year, with the pandemic going on, Larry still managed to plan a wonderful day. He invited two other couples over for dinner. He put up the awning in the back. It was the first time we had used this one. We haven’t done any in-person events since we bought it. Festooned with fairy lights, it looked magical after dark.

 We sat at separate tables spaced well apart. The canopy is ten feet square, so our chairs were close to the edges.

Larry ordered food from my favorite restaurant, The Harbor Grill, picked it up, and brought it home. Delicious!


He ordered beautiful flowers! They smell marvelous! He also got me a Chico’s gift card for when the pandemic is over.


Our Japanese son, Toshi, sent gorgeous flowers. I have both of them trained to go to my favorite florist. And they both know my taste.

 So, despite the situation this year, I had a marvelous celebration! And I celebrate my birthday all month, so the party continues.


Since I love giving presents to others on my birthday, the Kindle version of my book, Romance in the Time of Social Distancing, is FREE through the 28th 

 How do you feel about birthdays?

8 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY === Many More!
    Love, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Lorna! We're practically twins -- my 74th was less than a week ago, on Aug. 20th. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday. Sounds like you had a great celebration. I love the photos of your family. Here's to many more happy years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post and it sounds like you had a great birthday celebration! Mine was super too, though I think all the walking I did made my ankle worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a truly glorious day--despite the current circumstances. Take care of yourself. Praying your doctor can give you some relief for your ankle. i get the first shot in my knee today. Of course, it functioned perfectly all day yesterday...

      Delete