Friday, May 8, 2020

WITH A LOT OF HELP FROM A FRIEND



My guest this week is my favorite mystery writer and good friend Marilyn Meredith. She has a brand-new book in the Deputy Tempe Crabtree series called End of the Trail. She’ll tell you all about it.


My latest Deputy Tempe Crabtree mystery, End of the Trail, is now available on Amazon in paperback and on Kindle. The friend who made it possible was none other than my host for today, Lorna Collins, who did the editing and publishing. A big thank you to her and her hubby, Larry, who designed the cover.


When I started writing this book, I had lots of ideas of how it should unfold. However, when the coronavirus struck, it became harder and harder for me to write. I had plenty of time but lacked motivation. Not because I was worried about getting the sickness, but because the venues where I had planned to promote this book and others started to cancel their events.

The best part of any writing conference, or other such gathering, is seeing old friends and making new ones. The first event canceled was writing conference put on by Writers of Kern. Bakersfield is an easy drive, they had some great speakers lined up, and I paid for a table to have my books on display. It was scheduled for March.

The second event to go was a conference put on by the Central Coast chapter of Sisters in Crime. Because I’d already made hotel reservations, they offered me the opportunity to be their guest speaker at their regular meeting which they planned to hold the same day. When their meeting place, a library, closed, that was the end of that.

I’ve already received notice a book fair I’ve attended regularly scheduled in October will not be happening this year.

I’m still hoping other upcoming events written in on my calendar will go ahead as planned.

So, I guess disappointment was my biggest hurdle to finishing End of the Trail. Encouragement came from Lorna as I sent her the manuscript, which certainly helped.
Now that it’s published and available in paperback and for Kindle, I will find other ways to promote it.

Here’s a short blurb:

An important P.S.: Lorna Collins, the ghost hunter, makes an appearance in The End of the Trail.

Marilyn Meredith is the author of over forty published books. She lives in a mountain community, much like Bear Creek, the one where Deputy Tempe Crabtree is the resident deputy. When she isn’t writing, she enjoys being with her family.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me, Lorna! I truly miss seeing you in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cover! I am sure I will love the book. And I sure understand what the lack of venues in group locations can mean for book sales. I am stuck at home (though enjoying extra time to read) and my regular Friday and Saturday selling events in my area are on hold. The two Indie bookstores anywhere around here have closed--permanently. Only bookstore is Barnes and Noble and they are closed currently, but will eventually re-open,I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sad about the bookstores. This is not an easy time for any small business. Thanks for commenting, Radine!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the release, Marilyn! It has been challenging working through all this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting this book written in spite of the current situation is a tribute to your dedication as an artist and writer. You're an inspiration. I'm going to order the book as soon as I finish this comment. Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know who wrote this, but thanks for the comment and since I'm guessing you're a friend, I hope to see you soon too!

      Delete
  5. Nice to see another Tempe Crabtree novel! Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete