Sunday, March 15, 2020

OOPS – Part I



February 22, 2020

We got up before 4:00 a.m. to drive to San Diego to pick up my cousin Linda, her husband, David, and their friends, Bob and Mary. They were ending a Panama Canal cruise.

We first met Linda and David in Alberta, Canada last summer when we attended their family reunion. Linda’s grandfather and my grandfather were brothers. Hers homesteaded in Canada. After my father was born, he and his family moved to the ranch, where my aunts were born. I wanted to learn about the place where my dad had lived, and they wanted to learn about the California branch of the family, many of whom I knew growing up.
Cousins Marilyn and Linda—July 2019
We spent one night with Linda and David in Calgary during our trip, and we liked them very much.

When we discovered they were going to be as close as San Diego, we invited them to spend the weekend after the cruise with us. As added incentive, we suggested a whale watch, knowing Linda loves whales.

She made reservations online for a noon trip the day of their arrival.

I had promised her we’d be at the dock when they arrived so we could get them to the Dana Point Harbor in time. We arrived at 5:30. The ship was in early, but no one was stirring. We drove around for a while and finally found a parking place across the street from the dock.

We read for a while. At about six, the Starbucks nearby opened. We decided to get something to drink since we hadn’t eaten. We strolled over as they were setting up, ordered our drinks, and then sat down to enjoy them at our leisure.

Before we left, I bought a mug. I collect them, but I didn’t have one from San Diego. We talked to the baristas for a few minutes. Then we went back to the car to wait.

Linda texted that they were stuck in customs since there were quite a few non-Americans on the cruise. She said they’d be off around eight.

We took a nice long walk down the dock to look at the maritime museum ships. It was still too early for them to be open. It was a lovely morning, and we enjoyed the stroll.

Back at the car, Larry decided to go back to Starbucks to use the bathroom before our long drive back home. When he returned, I decided it sounded like a good idea.

I walked over, went, and then headed back to the car. I took a different path than the one I took going over.

It was so quick, I’m still not entirely sure what happened. As best I can reconstruct it, there was a small curb, and I didn’t see it. I think my right heel caught, twisting my foot under me and launching me face-first onto the concrete.

Oops!

To be continued next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment