Sunday, March 24, 2019

Work Families


During my working years, I was blessed to work for several companies where the employees became like family.

In 1978, I went to work for CF Braun & Co. Larry had already been employed there for thirteen years at the time. For the first six months, I was on probation (standard at the time). I felt as though I had to prove myself worthy to work there.
Once I had passed the test, however, I could have stayed for as long as I wanted. Many employees had been there for forty years or more. I was a “lifer” and would have stayed until retirement. Except, it wasn’t an option. The company was sold twice. With each sale, they lost customers. I left because we didn’t feel it was prudent for both of us to be employed by the same company.

During my seven years there, many fellow employees became closer than family. (Larry worked for the company for over thirty years in several different iterations and owners.) Even after both of us left, we remained in touch. We are still close to most of them, and we have groups on both Facebook and LinkedIn where we continue to share information.

About ten years later, after we moed to Orange County, I went to work for HC Power, inc. Once again, joining a new company was not an easy transition, and I felt I had to prove myself. However, soon these fellow employees became like another family.
I left in 1998 to work for three years in Japan. During my absence, the company was sold to PowerOne. I was asked to return in 2002 when we came back from Osaka, and I felt right at home once again. However, about eight months after I returned, PowerOne announced they were moving the manufacturing offshore and closing their California facilities.

We were such a close group, for the first two years after the company closed, we met on the first Friday of each month after work—just because we missed each other. We have groups on Facebook and LinkedIn to keep in touch.

In January, we suddenly lost one “brother,” Mehron “Ron” Khatiblou. I had worked with him in Engineering. I was out of town on the day of his memorial service, so I was unable to attend.
His month, we lost another “brother,” Raul Valerio, my former boss, in a paragliding accident. Last Friday, the “family” joined his family and friends to celebrate his life. I loved seeing everyone but wished the occasion had been a happier one.

The next place I worked, Downey Savings and Loan, was another extended family. Once again, few people who worked there ever left. I was employed there for seven years.

I adored the people. However, at the end of 2008, the FDIC closed the company—another victim of the banking collapse. I stayed on until mid-2009 to help with the closure.

Once again, we continue stay in touch through Facebook and LinkedIn. We have gotten together several times, and we all still miss seeing our friends.

My last job was a contract for Parker Aerospace, a subsidiary of Parker Hannifin. And once again, I felt as though I were coming home to a family. Many employees had been with the company for forty years, and few people left.
Even though I was only there for one year, I felt as though I had been at home.

Some people are lucky enough to work for one of these kinds of companies. I was blessed to work for several, and I continue to be grateful to count former employees of these companies among my close friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment