Thursday, February 23, 2017

NYC Part II - Dining

Last week, I told you about our arrival in New York City. This week, I continue our saga.

During our three-hour wait for a taxi in the cold and wind, I texted Kim to let her know what was happening. She and her friends went on to the meet-and-greet before we arrived at the hotel. She mentioned they had eaten dinner at Bobby Flay’s restaurant, Bar American, around the corner from the hotel. She told us it was expensive but excellent.

We had eaten very little during the day, and the long wait plus the extended trip into the city meant we were starving by the time we reached Times Square.

We checked into the Sheraton and decided to go to the restaurant Kim had recommended because it was nearby. The walk was cold and slushy, but it wasn’t very far.

From the moment we entered, we felt welcomed. The number of staff nearly equaled the number of diners. We were shown to a nice table with white linens (which I love), offered menus, and were asked if we would like to check our coats. We declined because we were still a bit chilled. The waiter noticed the Universal Studios Japan logo on the back of my coat and asked about it.
When he brought our beverages, we began a delightful conversation about Japan and the Universal park. Our waiter, Hector, was originally from Venezuela. He had considered visiting Japan, so he asked lots of questions. We thoroughly enjoyed meeting him.

We ordered our meal, and enjoyed the bread selection while we waited for our entrees. I ordered the spinach salad. I also ordered the sweet potato gratin. It sounded interesting, and I wanted to try it. Larry ordered the blackened sea bass.

The salad was delicious with crispy, thick bacon, feta cheese, and a poached egg on top. The gratin consisted of paper-thin slices of sweet potato layered with cinnamon and nutmeg, baked in an individual ramekin. It tasted a lot like pumpkin pie filling (which I adore). Larry enjoyed his sea bass and helped finish the sweet potatoes.

Of course, he also had to order dessert: chocolate crème brulèe. I was full, but I tried a taste—and it was terrific!

The entire meal was delightful and the perfect end to a stressful day. Once again, we met lovely, friendly New Yorkers and discovered why the city is famous for its food.

Back at the hotel, we didn’t even bother unpacking, but climbed into bed, full and ready for whatever the morning would bring.

Next week: our bus trip around the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment