Monday, October 27, 2014

The Joy of Reading


As a child, I loved reading. Whenever life became difficult, I escaped into a book. I was able to transport myself to a different place with different people whose problems were at least different than my own.

However, my best friend had a disability which made it very difficult to read. In the dark ages, when I grew up, no one had heard the term “dyslexia,” much less knew how to help a kid with the problem. My brother suffered from the same disability.

Some were called “slow.” Others were told they weren’t applying themselves. Neither of these people were stupid. In fact, they were both very intelligent. But school authorities only recognized their inability to read.
My friend and I took a couple of the same classes in college and studied together. When I read her the data and my notes, she did very well. But most of the time, she was on her own, and at a disadvantage.

Needless to say, in all the years I’ve known her, I never remember her reading a book for pleasure. That is, until her husband bought a copy of our book, The Memory Keeper, and she picked it up.
Several weeks ago, she called me. “I love this book! I finished it in three days. My husband had to remind me to eat and to go to bed.” She went on to describe all the things she adored about the book.

She ordered a couple of our other books and ‘inhaled’ them as well. After each one, I received a phone call so we could discuss her favorite parts. She was now down to reading them in two days.

Once she digested all of our books, she asked for recommendations. I suggested a friend’s mysteries. Again, I got a report on each one she read.

She has spent quite a bit of time in doctors’ waiting rooms lately and loves the ability to be transported while she waits. In fact, she sometimes regrets being called because she has to stop reading!

Knowing that my books opened the door for her is the very best reason I can think of to continue writing. And her ‘reviews’ after each book were far more important than any published online.

Why do you read? Do you love it as much as I do? Why or why not?

2 comments:

  1. The rewards of writing are immeasurable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially the unexpected ones where you can actually make a difference in someone's life. I expect "Healer" will touch lives.

      Delete