Monday, April 29, 2024

FAREWELL TO JAPAN

 April 1, 2024 – Part 1

I didn’t sleep very well. I was concerned about our transport to the airport arriving on time to give us some breathing space before our flight. Now that the celebration was over, my mind was going a mile a minute thinking about everything I had to get done as soon as we got home.

We got up and went down to breakfast. Then, I worked on my blog and Larry read until it was time to check out.

We left the bags with the bellman and headed out for a last walk at CityWalk.

But first, we said goodbye to the minions. The whole hotel has been re-themed with them, and the employees’ costumes are also minion-themed.




With the minions at the Universal Port Hotel

We enjoyed being in the area one last time. People were headed toward the park, and others were exploring the shops and restaurants at CityWalk.

Since it was close to noon, and since our plane wouldn’t leave for several hours, we decided to get a light lunch. McDonalds was right there, so we went in. A lovely young man was talking orders—and he spoke perfect English.

I ordered a six-piece McNugget “set-o” (the same as our combo). He informed me I could only get the six-piece as a Happy Meal.

“Sounds perfect to me.”

Larry ordered the same.

After getting our drink orders, he asked what toy we wanted. We both declined.

We found a two-person table and took our time enjoying our lunch.

We still had about an hour before our airport transport was scheduled to arrive, and it was cold out, so we stopped by Starbucks for coffee. We sipped our drinks while we people-watched. It was still a thrill to see people emerge from the train station excited about going to the park. This reaction was what we had hoped for when we were working there. And, here it still was twenty-three years later.

With about twenty minutes left until our ride was to arrive, we returned to the hotel and reclaimed our bags. We waited inside until Larry received a text that our ride was on the way.

After a short wait in front of the hotel, our van arrived.

The ride to the airport was without issue as was check-in. We checked our large bag and got our boarding passes. Then we headed to the departure gate.

Larry rushed through the airport. I had a hard time keeping up with him. Of course, our gate was a LONG way from the entrance. We had to walk through all the Duty-Free shops and food areas to get to another section. Then we had to take a train to yet another area to find our gate. (Kansai is now about twice the size it used to be.)

We finally arrived—and there was no one there. I finally asked Larry why he had been in such a hurry. He said he thought we were too late to make the plane. Times for all transportation in Japan are on 24-hour clocks, but we had entered the time on our calendar in 12-hour time. Larry had misread the departure time. We arrived at the gate well over an hour before boarding.

I found a seat, and Larry took our empty water bottles to refill them.

Little-by-little others began to arrive. Then the crew drifted in. As each group appeared, they turned to the waiting passengers and bowed. Gotta love the Japanese.

Finally, it was time for our group to board.

Everything went smoothly. We got settled in and blew up our travel pillows. I remained optimistic that I might get some sleep during the flight, even though I almost never do.

After we were airborne, we were served beverages. Then they served dinner: either chicken or pork bowls. I chose pork, and Larry had the chicken. They were accompanied by the usual assortment of small side dishes. The food was okay, but it didn’t begin to compare with the meal we received on the trip to Japan. I ate some, and Larry finished the rest.

I closed my eyes and tried to rest, but I couldn’t sleep. I decided to watch a couple of movies. I saw Wish. It was disappointing, and I could understand why it wasn’t considered one of Disney’s best. Then I watched Anyone But You. Kind of a dud as well.

I turned off the entertainment and closed my eyes. I still didn’t sleep, but rested a bit.

 April 1, 2024 – Part 2

Even though we left Japan in the evening of April 1, we arrived in LA about noon--on April 1. We had recovered the day we had lost on the way over.

Fortunately, this flight was much shorter than the one to Japan. (The flight to Japan was about thirteen hours. The one back was about nine-and-a-half.) About an hour before we landed, lunch was served: a kind of taco salad with several small dish accompaniments. As usual, I ate the entrée and left most of the rest. Larry ate his and then picked at the things he wanted from my tray.

We left the plane and went through customs. The process was much more streamlined than it was the last time we arrived at LAX. Everything went pretty quickly.

We finally got out of the airport and called our driver, Danny. We told him where we were waiting, and he arrived before long. We are so blessed to have found him!

After an uneventful drive, we arrived home in the afternoon.

We took all the dirty clothes to the laundry room and started the washer. Then we began to unpack.

We weren’t hungry, so we skipped dinner. Good thing since we had no food in the house.

Since we were tired, we decided to get to bed early. We still had a lot to do for the week!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did! A lot packed in to a few days, and a WHOLE lot to do the following week! We plan to go back in 2026 for the 25th anniversary.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your Adventure! I enjoyed the trip!
    Happy that you're home Safely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a good trip. I have always said that I would rather be too early for a flight than be running to the gate!

    ReplyDelete