Saturday, February 20, 2021

My Love Affair with Poetry

 

My first book was a cloth book of Mother Goose Rhymes. I literally wore it out. Of course, by then I had memorized all of them, so the fact that the words were obliterated made no difference. Even though it was worn out, Mom saved it. (My mother was not a saver. She threw out or gave away a LOT of our childhood items.)



Another favorite was The Little Golden Book of Poetry. My aunt and uncle gave it to me for Christmas the year I was one.



This one had wonderful, colorful illustrations. I memorized it as well. One of my favorites was Robert Louis Stevenson’s “The Swing.” Whenever I went high on one, I thought of this poem. Another was “Hiding” by Dorothy Aldis. Of course, mine is much worse for the wear.



Some of the damage to this one was caused by my younger brother. I was always careful with my books, but Ron was not. Still, Mom kept this one, too.

As I got older, some of my favorite poets were Robert Frost, e.e. cummings, and Maya Angelou. I discovered I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings in high school, and it became another favorite.

We were required to memorize the prologue to The Canterbury Tales in old English for my freshman English class. I can still recite it. (At a critique group meeting, another gal—who was probably in her eighties at the time—and I recited it together! Kindred souls.)

When I compiled our anthology, Seasons of Love, I decided to write an introductory poem for each of the four novellas.



Here they are.

by Sherry Derr-Wille

Spring

 

Sing in the spring:

The song of new life,

The song of hope,

The song of new love;

Raise your voice and celebrate

The wonder of renewal

 

Summer’s Challenge
by Luanna Rugh


Summer

 

Dance through the summer;

Frolic in the meadow;

Twirl in the sunshine;

Caper among the wildflowers;

Gambol in childlike freedom;

Whirl in nature’s glory.

 

Autumn’s Blessing
by Christie Shary


Autumn

 

Let go in autumn

Of the past,

Of things which weigh you down,

Of hurts and burdens

Leave behind all sadness

To embrace the new.

 

Winter’s Song
by Lorna Collins


Winter

 

Linger in winter;

Await the rainbow behind the cloud;

Hope for what is to come;

Anticipate the green shoots beneath the snow;

Remain still in the knowledge

That life, ’though hidden, is stirring.

 

These are just simple verses, but they set the stage for each novella. If they have made you curious about the actual stories in the book, it’s available in ebook and paperback on Amazon (https://tinyurl.com/3e2j8w3k) and through our website (www.lornalarry.com).

Do you love poetry, too? Tell me about it.

2 comments:

  1. I loved those rhyming children's books too, and loved to read them to my pre-school kids. Robert Louis Stevenson's poetry were favorites of mine too. I memorized poetry in school, don't really remember any of it now. Used to be able to recite "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere, all the way through. No longer. And I only wrote one poem in my life and I can't remember it anymore either except the last line which read: "As for boys I love them all." Think it was when I was in junior hight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote some in high school, but noever seriously. I had another one published. It is the one from "Snowflake Secrets."

      Delete